map art to wear

Friday, July 22, 2011

I {heart} maps ... always have and always will. I collect them when we travel. Maps make great keepsakes to scrapbook, journal or smash!

And lately I've been using them in my jewellery! They make great keepsakes ... like one I made above with a New York City subway map and a heart glass tile.

I made a few of these heart shaped charms with different subway stops from my trip there last year. I kept the one with Grand Central Station for myself. I was inspired by merchandise crafted with old New York City subway maps at a store located in Grand Central Station. After visiting that store, my friend Karen and I collected every subway map we could find to bring home with us.

I also tend to rip out the maps from my daytimers after the year is over. They are too cute to throw out and I'm a pack rat! I'm so glad that I have been able to use some of these smaller maps to create these tiny charms for earrings. The ones pictured with London and Paris were created for my oldest daughter as a reminder of her school trip to Paris when she was in grade 8. We were grounded at the London airport due to poor weather conditions and didn't make it to Paris until the second day of our trip. She will always remember that part of the story from our trip with these little keepsakes.
One more pair of earrings ... I think that these would be good for a Beatles fan ... they feature London and Liverpool!

So if you are off travelling somewhere this summer ... save a couple of maps from your destination ... you just may want to make a keepsake that you can wear!
If you live in the Mississauga (Ontario, Canada) area, I just added the heart shaped glass tiles and small earring sized glass tiles to my product line at Scrapbook Queens ! I am going to add them to my etsy shop for everyone else in August when I get back from the cottage ... if I have any stock left!
One last piece to share before I head off to the cottage ...
I just made these Betty & Veronica earrings ... they match my Archie scrabble tile bracelet that you can see here.  I made some of these Betty & Veronica earrings and necklaces with my girls - we can't wait to sit out on the beach with these!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!